Home or School Address will work for Little League Registration

Little League has made an important change to its residency rules prior to the 2014 season.

Players are now allowed to play in the league whose boundaries include the school they attend. If these boundaries are different than home boundaries, “parents will need to bring an official school document, such as a report card or school enrollment form, confirming enrollment in the school for the current academic year, dated before October 1, 2013.” Read the full text of the new rule here.

What does this mean for NW Seattle Little League? We may get more majors and juniors enrolling in our league since most of these players come from Whitman (which is inside the NWSLL boundary). And we may lose players here and there. In past years, some kids have dropped out of little league because they weren’t allowed to play with friends. Overall though, this is a great change for Little League and  NWSLL.Transfer rule clarification

Transfer requests

These new boundary rules have caused some confusion this year. Here’s what you need to know:

  1. If you live inside the NW Seattle Little League (NWSLL) boundary, your child is automatically eligible to play in NWSLL regardless of where he or she attends school.
  2. If you live outside the NWSLL but your child goes to school inside the league’s boundary, they can play in NWSLL but need to provide one of the following documents indicating enrollment for the current academic year, dated prior to October 1, 2013 and with the physical location of the school (completed forms should be emailed to info@nwsll.org):
    1. Official/Certified School enrollment record
    2. School issued report card or performance record
    3. Signed school enrollment form
  3. If you live outside the boundary and your child’s school is outside the boundary, a mountain of paperwork needs to be filled out before you can play in NWSLL. Generally, Little League discourages kids from playing outside their league boundaries at any age because as they move up they maintain ties with the same kids and coaches. If approved by the national office, transfers are good for one year at a time (long-term transfers are rare), and do not permit All-Star play. Here is the process for such transfers:
    1. Parent contacts (email is acceptable) a board member of the NWSLL requesting a residency waiver. This letter/email should state the reasons why a waiver is being requested. This letter should also include the player’s name, address, and date of birth .
    2. If the president of this NWSLL approves this request, this residency waiver form is signed and sent along to the president of the league the child wants to transfer away from.
    3. If the president of the other league also signs this request, the form is sent back to the parent to be be signed and notarized.
    4. The notarized form and original email/letter requesting a transfer should be mailed to the District 8 Administrator, who will then add his/her recommendation to the request. The D8 administrator will send the form on to the regional office of Little League International, and the regional office will add their recommendation to the request and forward the request to the Charter Committee in Williamsport PA.
    5. If Williamsport approves the request, the boy/girl will play in the requested league for that year only.